8.21.2009

David Lynch's Interview Project

David Lynch is one of our great american filmmakers and I love his quirky, yet brutally real, way of writing characters. If you haven't seen Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet they are American cinema classics and should be required viewing for all of us. I have included them in my bookstore if you are interested.

My Dad just introduced me to Lynch's new video interview project. (Thanks Dad! You're the coolest!!) THIS IS AMAZING! I can't believe I didn't know about it before, but I have been loving watching these videos.

Basically instead of writing characters, Lynch sent out a team of filmmakers to go all around the USA interviewing people they came across...and I'm sure it was no shock to him that all of the subjects could have been characters in one of his films. But I suppose that is the genius of Lynch; he has always been able to make the everyday seem strange and exotic or somehow extra-terrestrial. By and large though all of the subjects are very endearing and give us a glimpse into the lives of some of middle-America's more colorful citizens. They feel like the video versions of Robert Frank's, or Walker Evan's photographs.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I have. And please check out the "About" section with Lynch as he is adorable and just as much fun to watch as any of the other subjects.

2 comments:

  1. your description is so right on! He does make the everyday seem strange and the strange seem like everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. incredible -- david lynch is one of our national treasures.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete