1.13.2009

Art:21 The Series

As a lover of art history one of my favorite things is to hear artists talk about their work and how they move from inspiration to the final product. As is the nature of creativity, it is always different and unique for each artist. While I don't think we should ever base our appreciation of art on how the artist describes it, I do think we are extraordinarily lucky when we have access to artists that are willing to talk about themselves and their work. 

PBS has produced one of my favorite series on contemporary artists in America called ART:21. The series is in it's fourth season and I highly recommend watching all four seasons. The show consists of interviews with the artists in their studios and taking you around their work. 

I have added the DVDs to my bookshop in the Best Interviews section, but you can also rent them on Netflix. I recomend starting with season four and working your way back. 

Here is a clip from the segment on one of my favorite artists Louise Bourgeois. She's a firecracker and you'll love her, if you don't already. (Her segment is from season one)

No comments:

Post a Comment